Call For Translators
Position: Translators (English to Pashto; or English to Dari)
Type: Short-term, delivery-based
Compensation: Per word, payment following approved invoices prepared by the translator
Location: Remote, but translators may use organization’s office space in Kabul if desired
Eligible: Individuals of any nationality
Date Posted: June 12, 2016
Applications Due by: June 27, 2016
Travel Requirements: No travel required
Reporting to: Programs Director
We are seeking experienced, professional, punctual and detail oriented translators who have an excellent command of both source and target languages to translate educational material from English into Pashto or into Dari, for our library of open educational resources (OER) for Afghanistan. The freelance, contracted translators will produce high quality, error-free translations. The translator should ensure consistency in meaning between the texts, correct spelling, formatting, standard terminologies and strong sentence structure so that translated documents are clear, readable and technically sound. A high degree of translation integrity and accuracy is required. Translators must ensure that all documents are fully and accurately translated and no items are missing, misinterpreted or incomplete from the translation rendered. Evidence of previous translation experience should be provided in the application.
- Translate learning materials from English into either Pashto or Dari, in line with the DD Library Style Guide.
- Review, proofread and revise work before submission.
- Submit final typed translations by email to the Editor by the deadline.
- Make any edits or corrections required following editing.
- Discuss with the Editor any concerns or problems with texts.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Exceptional written fluency in English plus Pashto, or plus Dari
- Preferred minimum level of education a Bachelor’s in English Language / Literature
- Preference for holders of certificates in translation course
- Minimum five years of written translation experience
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word and typing in Pashto or Dari language
- Personal commitment to strengthening the quality of education in Afghanistan and to the mission of the Darakht-e Danesh Library.
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter in English that specifies your rate per word, written in the body of the email (NOT as an attachment).
- An up-to-date CV.
- TOEFL, IELTS and any other standard test results or official documents declaring the English language proficiency and competency for translation.
- One sample translation. Please provide the source material as well.
- Applications must include two reference names and referee contact information. Referees should include professional colleagues and former supervisors, and should not be relatives or friends of the applicant. Referees should be clients for which translation work was performed during the last five years.
All applications should be submitted by e-mail to: Recruitment@darakhtdanesh.org
Late applications will not be considered.